Our Lodge History

 

 

 

 

The warrant of 354 was first issued in 1760 to a Military Lodge called the 49th Foot Regiment, then again in 1884 under the Irish Constitution to a Lodge in Deloraine, Tasmania, called the 'Meander ' Lodge.

 

It wasn't until the 18th June 1903 that Shamrock Masonic Lodge No. 354 Kircubbin was issued with the warrant by The Grand Lodge of Ireland and  the new Lodge was constituted.

The Lodge has been at continuous labour for 119 years  in The Masonic Province of Down.

 

During the global pandemic of Coronavirus (COVID 19) which spread across the world  in early 2020, the Lodge along with all Branches of our Order suspended meetings in line with Government directive.  During this time we kept in contact with our members formally by setting up a monthly newsletter titled "The Kircubbin Mason's Newsletter".  Meetings resumed in November 2021.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here you can read the newspaper article from the Newtownards Chronicle.

 

 

Our Warrant

The

Newtownards Chronicle

And County Down Observer

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

NEWTOWNARDS,              SATURDAY,              JUNE,              18,             1903

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

MASONRY

 

CONSTITUTION OF MASONIC

LODGE AT KIRKCUBBIN

 

The Masonic Province of Down continues to show practical evidence of the extension of the Craft.  On the 18th June another number was added to the Province by the constitution of the "Shamrock" Lodge No.354 in Kirkcubbin.  For some time the project had been on foot owing to the numbers of the Craft in the district, and the consummation of thier hopes reached finality when the approval of the Grand Lodge was secured.  The consecration ceremony took place in the lodge-room shortly after 4 o'clock, the Right Worshipful D.F.G.M of Down.  Br. Dr. Crossle, who never spares himself for furthering the interest of the craft, occupying the chair.

 

Amongst those present were - Brs. W. B. Burrows, P.S.G.W.; Jos. Keown, P.J.G.W.; J. H. Barrett, P.G.S.; E. Kirkpatrick, P.P.S.G.W.; Wm Shannon, P.G.D.C.; John Orr, P.G.D.C.; Rev. Wm. Wright, P.G.C.; Rev. R. H. Coote, P.G.C.; John B. Iliff, P.P.G.S.; George Elliot, P.G.I,; Alexander Dickson, P.P.J.G.W.; W. S. McClean, D. H. Johnston, R. Murray, James McNeill, James Gilmore, 104; Robert S. Henry, P.M., 447; Andrew Boyd, S.W., 104; Wm. Savage, P.M., 104: Henry Jones, I.G., 104; Wm. J. Harper,  W.M., 675; Wm. Blakley, P.K.R.A.C., 447; Geo. Gibson, 675; Samuel Mahood, 237; Herbert Allison, P.M., 188; Robert Murray, P.M., 675; H.M. Warnock, P.M., 104; Arch. E. Wright. 223; S. F. L. Neely; Geo. McNarry, 675; Joseph Law, 675; Robert Gregg, 74; James Beck, 104; Wm. John Mahood, 104; James Boyd, 354; Fred W. Shaw, 104; David H. Wilson 354; Francias J. Higgins, W.M., 183; Samuel Reid, P.M., 183; Wm. Filson, 183; James Filson, 183; Robert Gilmore, jun., 183; N de la C. Cromlin, 354; Robert Gilmore, sen., P.M., 183; W. J, Coulter, 104; Samuel Brown, 354; Joseph Clint, 354; A. M'Cormick, 354; Adrew Gilmore, 354; James Gilmore, 354; John McKee, 354; James McNeilly, 1000, organist.

 

 

 

The Provincial brethren having assumed their positions, the lodge was opened in accordance with custom.  Bro. Wm. Shanon acting as P.G.D. of Ceremonies.  When the consecration of the new lodge had been performed by the Right Worshipful the D.P.G.M. Br. Dr. Crossle, the officers of the lodge were installed as follows - W.M., John B. Iliff, P.P.G.S.; S.W., James Boyd; J.W., Samuel Brown; secretary and treasurer, Robert Gilmore sen., P.M; Joseph Clinht S.D.; David W. Wilson, J.D.; and Robert Gilmore, jun., IG.

 

Bro. Rev. R. H. Coot e P.G.C., then gave a most excellent discourse on the temants of Freemasonry, in the preamble of which he made allusion ot the fact that a lodge which conferred many of the higher degrees had been constituted on Kirkcubbin on 1803, and dissolved in 1835.  The lecturer gave an interesting resume of the Craft from its foundation, and which was so  much appreciated that a special vote of thanks was accorded him for the excellence of the charge.  After the lodge was closed the brethren united in singing the National Anthem ( Masonic version).

 

Subsequently the officers and members of Lodge 354 entertained the principal officers and visiting brethren in the "Mermaid of Mahee", where an excellent repast was served.  Bro. Wm Shannon, on behalf of he visiting brethren, thanked the members of 354 for their bounteous hospitality, and Bro, John B. Iliff, W.M., having suitably acknowledged the compliment, the proceedings terminated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*** The original newspaper can be viewed in the Belfast Newspaper Library,  Library Street, Belfast, BT1 1EA - Tel; 028 90 509 117

 

hall.jpg

In 1911 the new hall was built and a ceremony of Dedication held.   It was performed by The Provincial Grand Master of Down - R W Bro R G Sharman Crawford D L. 
 
Today the hall is called the Kircubbin Masonic Centre.  

There 2 Craft  Lodges and 1 Royal Arch Chapter who sit here 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The Great War 1914 -1918


During the Great War of 1914-1918 a total of 28 Brethren from Shamrock 354 enlisted, went to war and very fortunately all returned home to their loved ones unlike many thousands like them who sadly fell fighting for King, Country and Freedom.
    
                                                                                   
               

                  At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them........We Will Remember Them

 
 

png-transparent-in-flanders-fields-first-world-war-remembrance-poppy-armistice-day-poppy-m

Adams, Alfred 
Campbell, Thomas 
Campbell, William 
Connor, J 
Dodds, James 
Donnan, William 
Filson, Andrew 
Fitzsimmons, John Ralston 
Fitzsimmons, Robert
Lawther, Robert 
Maxwell, John 
Maxwell, William 
Maxwell, William 
Mcclement, J 
Mcclement, John 

Mcclement, Sam 
Mcclement, T 
Mcclement, Thomas 
Mcmaster, A 
Mcmaster, David 
Mcmillan, David H 
Patterson, William 
Robinson, Samuel 
Savage, James 
Shaw, F W 
Shaw, James Rowan 
Shaw, J B
Shaw, William Maxwell 
Sinclair, Alexander 
Sinclair, John 

Weir, David 
Wilson, Thomas 
Woods, William 

kisspng-national-war-memorial-monument-papua-new-guinea-he-war-5abe3d32abbb37_edited.png

** Thanks to W Bro Ian Simms for providing the research on those brave Brethren from our Lodge


Lodge Centenary 1903 - 2003


On Sunday 12th October the Lodge celebrated it's Centenary and held a Service of Thanksgiving in Kircubbin Presbyterian Church.  Here is the order of service.
 

 

craft cent 1.jpg
craft cent 3.jpg
craft cent 2.jpg